Sunday, October 14, 2012

2012 October in Budapest




October 29, 2012

Sziasztok Mindenki!!

Great news!!! The Selmeci family is getting baptized tomorrow!!!
President has given us permission to go! :) Attila and Zsuzsa are
getting married today so they can be baptized tomorrow! I wish I could
go to both the wedding and the baptism, but I am grateful President
has granted me permission to be there for their baptism. They are the
most amazing family! It's been such a miracle watching them grow in
their testimonies. I AM SO EXCITED!!! They are going to be such an
awesome addition to the church here! And maybe little Levente will
serve a mission one day! :) I will be sure to send some pictures next
week and tell you all about it.

As for other news... We met with Peti from Dunaújváros this Friday.
I'm not sure if you remember him. But we met with he and his mom for a
while in Duna. He came to church quite a few times. Well, He moved
here to Budapest for school, and I invited him to the Halloween party
we had this weekend! :) He came, and we set up to meet with him again
this week!

Zsolt came to church again this Sunday! Also, Gábor's friend Zoli is
awesome! We watched the Restoration video with him this past week, and
asked if he would be willing to get baptized when he recieves a
witness that these things are true. His answer was "Természetesen!"
haha or "naturally!" He seems to be really prepared. We're hoping he
will come to church with us next week.



Well, Sister Hudspeth is great! We are having a really fun time
together. Her first name is Joy, and she really lives up to her name!
:) We are always finding little things to laugh about and she brings a
lot of energy and excitement to the work here.
Anyways, I love you all!! Feel free to write letters anytime! :) I
feel like people may have forgotten me since I've been gone for so
long. haha

Diane!- I'm so excited for my new niece!! I wish you all the best luck
with everything! Sorry I can't be there, but just know I love you so
much and I'm so excited to come visit all your children when I get
back!

Vigyázzatok magatokra!

Sok sok szeretettel,

Johnson Nővér


October 22, 2012

Dear Family,

Well, it's official- I've decided I'm going to extend. :) Which is
really strange... considering my whole life I never thought I wanted
to serve a mission. But this has been the best thing I've ever done.
And as much as I would love to come back in January and see you all, I
feel like there is still work I need to do here. I've talked to
President about it. My new return date will be February 28th. I know
that 6 weeks really doesn't make all that much difference in the long
run after I get home, and there is so much I can help to accomplish
here in that time. Plus, time seems to be flying so fast anyway- I
know February will come around in no time.

Anyways, Transfer calls came today! Lots of crazy things are
happening. First of all, Sister MacKay is leaving to serve in Solnok.
I'm getting a new companion here in Buda... Sister Hudspeth! haha My
ősi in the MTC. She was in the group ahead of me, and will be "dying"
after this next transfer (or for those of you who don't know the
mission slang- she only has one transfer left in the mission). haha
She told me last transfer on transfer day that she wanted to end her
mission here in Buda with me. I didn't think it would actually happen
since we both are so old in the mission...  but it's happening. haha
She is such a sweet person, and really hilarious and full of energy.
We served together for a day on splits back when I was serving in
Kispest. I think we are going to have a lot of fun this next transfer.
We are going to end her mission on a high note!- that's for sure. :)

As for what's happening here in Buda... The work is going really well.
All together this transfer we have gotten 18 new investigators! :)
Last week we were able to reach our super standard goals. It was
Sister MacKay's first time getting it! :) So I was glad we were able
to have a successful last week here for her. Andrea came to church
again! She even brought a friend with her this time! :) I think they
both really enjoyed church, and actually we set up a time to meet with
her friend next week too! Zsolt came to church for his first time! And
we have another investigator Gábor who shared a Book of Mormon with his friend.
They both came to a program with us last week, and his friend said he
has been reading from the book everyday, and loves it! Basically, he
already believes it's true! It's amazing. Referrals are the best thing
ever!! I love when people share the gospel with their friends. :)

Well, I think that's about all the new information I have for this
week. Life is good. It's starting to get cold. :) I really love you
all! Hope that all is well on the other side of the world. Talk to you
soon!

Sok Szeretettel,

Johnson Nővér



October 15, 2012

Dearest Family,

The best thing ever happened today!! Attila from Duna was in town. We happened to be at the branch house today when he called and asked if we had a few minutes to meet with him. We said of course and that we were just at the church house. He told us he'd be there in 15 minutes. It was so good to see him! I love their family SO MUCH (as I'm sure I've already told you a million times). Anyway, he told me a personal experience about how he gained his own personal testimony of the priesthood power! I could feel my eyes beginning to fill with tears as one of my investigators bore to me their own personal testimony. He told me that Zsuzsa and him are getting married!!- So that they can be baptized! How cool is that!? :) They are going to be an eternal family!!!!!!! I could not be happier than I am at this moment. I know now that my mission has meant something to someone, and that I was able to be an instrument in helping this family change their lives forever! They are incredible. I know that their whole family will be blessed because the gospel is now in their lives, and because their parents, Zsuzsa and Attila, are such great examples to their children and are making such great decisions. I was so happy that Attila thought to come visit me and that he was so excited to tell me about all the wonderful things happening with their family. :) 
I also got a call from the Elders in Duna last Friday. Jorge's baptism was planned to be in the next few weeks, but they haven't had the opportunity to meet with him lately. They thought maybe he had disappeared, and I couldn't understand why, when he was so solid while we were meeting with him there. They just found out though that he has been in the hospital the last few weeks. He seems to be doing better. But it looks like his baptism will be pushed back a bit. He still wants to be baptized though, and the Elders have begun meeting with him again. :)



The Opera was so great! We actually didn't see an opera- haha we saw a ballet. But it was incredible! They didn't talk the entire time- except there was one small part where a narrator said a few lines in Hungarian. But it was so fun! I was so glad that President gave us permission to go. The opera house here is beautiful! We got to sit in some of the coolest seats too in one of those little booths! I think Sister MacKay enjoyed her birthday. She was so excited to open her presents from her family- we woke up and opened them right at 630 in the morning. :) It was a really fun day. 
Okay, so Andrea, who got the pass-along card in her mailbox, is so AWESOME! She came to conference, and to church this past Sunday, and we are meeting with her again this week! She says she has been reading from the Book of Mormon everyday and she has been trying to pray the way we showed her. :) There are so many great miracles happening here in the city! Transfers are next week- can you believe it?! I've been thinking a lot about whether I want to extend or not. My original date to come home is January 17th- if I extend I will stay until the 28th of February. I don't see any major plans being effected if I stay one more month, (only that I'd miss Valentines day) haha but I really feel like I could do a lot of good here in my last transfer. So, I've been feeling a lot like I might stay. But it's not for sure yet. I'm still thinking and praying a lot about it. I told President I would give him an answer in the next week though... So, if any of you can think of any reason why that would be a horrible idea... let me know. haha 
We are still meeting with and finding a lot of new investigators. We had a ton of great lessons this week, so I'm really excited about all the new people we are meeting with. I'll keep you updated on their progression. The baptism for the 2 little boys this weekend went really great. They are adorable. And one of them, Peti, when he walked through the door looked at us with the biggest smile and said he's been waiting for this day for a long time. :) It's so cool to see people be baptized. There is nothing else in the world like helping another receive the blessings that come form the gospel. 
I love you all so much! I hope that you are all doing well. Thanks for all your support and prayers. 

Sincerely and With Love,
Sister Tiffany Johnson 




October 10, 2012 

Dear Family,

This week has been awesome. Today is sister MacKay's birthday so we asked President for permission to switch our P-day to Wednesday. We got tickets to the opera for tonight! I can't wait!! 



Tiffany, Sister MacKay and her Family while visiting Hungary

We have a whole new pool of investigators! It's really exciting! So far this week we have 5 new investigators and counting! :) I have to tell you the coolest thing that happened!

So, from that old area book I've been telling you about... we found a name with no phone number, but with an address. I thought maybe we could go by and try and look it up. So we headed out there and finally found the building. The name was no longer on the bell, but we tried the doors it said he might live at... no answer. Well, on our way out we got the idea to at least put pass-along cards in all the mailboxes. So we did. About a week later we got a call from this random number. It was a woman who told us she had received a card in her mailbox about our church. She said that she was catholic, but had heard a little about the Mormons, and knew some people who were Mormon, and would be interested in learning more. :) SO we set up with her!! She came to meet with us last Friday! We had an awesome lesson with her and taught the whole restoration. She is such a cute girl!  She's 38, really pretty, and really stylish and nice! She was really interested in everything we were telling her, and agreed to read the Book of Mormon. She even came to Conference on Sunday, and said she had read the chapter we assigned her and has been reading every night! She seemed to really enjoy the conference talks and we are going to be meeting with her again this week. :) How amazing is that that the Lord led us to her! I had no idea that anything would come from us going to that apartment that day. But she seems so prepared! I'm so happy she decided to call us!

As for other things that are happening. Chris came to Conference with us and listened in English! He seems to be progressing really well! He is one of the coolest people I know. This new man, Zsolt, also came to conference. We met him while we were tabling. He came right up and asked if we were Mormon missionaries. We said, "yes" of course, and he said that his family had met with the missionaries about 5 years ago. We've been meeting with him again, and he said that he will come to church with us this Sunday!

This weekend we are having a baptism. Two little boys from the ward- 8 and 9 years old. Their mother is a member, but because Peti is 9, we have been teaching them as missionaries. They are really cute kids. Also!- I got to see the Selmeci Family again this weekend! They came to Conference at Tihány tér! It was so good to see them! They are doing so great! I may have already told you- but Levente, their son, is now on baptism date as well!! They could possibly be the best thing that's happened on my mission. I wish you all could meet them! They are the most incredible people! They are going to be such a solid addition to the church. I can't wait till their baptism in November. :)

By the way, speaking of Conference... How crazy is it that boys can go on missions at 18 and girls at 19!!! That would have been nice to know about 4 years ago... haha oh well. I think this is really going to make the work explode!  Oh, MICHELE!!!! I got your package! You are so sweet to think of me and my companion. I am so grateful for all the packages and letters I receive from you! The sweater is adorable I've already worn it a bunch. I really appreciate it! Tell Mykah congratulations for me! I can't believe she is getting married! You should definitely send me an invitation! :) Hope you are all well!

Anyhow, I love you all tons! Thanks for everything! Have a wonderful week!

Sok Szeretettel,
Johnson Nővér 



Johnson Nővér and MacKay Nővér 


Oct. 1, 2012

Hey Everyone!!

We have been doing a ton of finding this week! One thing we do a lot of here is tabling. I sent a couple picture of the awesome places we table. There are the most beautiful views here in the city! We even tried a new way of finding... Chalk!! haha We drew the plan of salvation on the side walk, and in one of the pictures I sent we drew a big world and wrote "why are we here?" It got a lot of peoples' attention actually! I really like chalking. We get to talk to people, and play with chalk! What could be better?! :) 




Chalking in Buda and look at the View!



Last Sunday I forgot to tell you that Attila and Zsuzsa were here in Buda visiting Attila's mom who lives here. They decided to come to our ward here on Sunday to visit me! :) They stayed for Sunday school too. The lessons were so perfect for them, and it was so great to get to see them again! They are doing so great! Levente, their son, is now on bap. date as well!! :) I sent a picture of all of them with the tie I bought for Levente to wear at church. He didn't have any, and his dad's ties were too big. haha I miss their family so much. But it makes me feel great to see that they are all still doing so well, and continuing to prepare for baptism. 



Attila, Zsuzsa and their son Levente come to visit me in Buda



We have a new investigator!! His name is Chris!! He's the coolest guy ever!! He is the one in the picture with Sister MacKay and I. I love him so much! We met him on the bridge while tabling for one of my first times here. He loves God and he loves the bible! Between our first and second meeting with him he had read the Book of Mormon all the way up to Alma! He says he's been comparing prophecies in the Bible with the prophecies in the Book of Mormon, and so far they all match up. haha He really has a desire to believe. He calls God "papa-God." and he always says the most heartfelt prayers. It's really amazing. He doesn't speak Hungarian, he's only lived here for about 2 years. But he speaks perfect English, and really loves meeting with us. We are going to invite him to come to general conference with us. :)




Sister MacKay, Chris and Sister Johnson


I don't really have a lot of news this week. Mostly we've just been tabling and streeting a lot. But we have met quite a few interesting people. Last night we were mobbed by a teenage group of Jehovah's Witnesses. haha That was fun. There were about 15 of them. They were really nice though. We talked a little with each other, and they asked us a few questions about our beliefs. We ended up exchanging cards. I gave her one of ours, and she gave me one of theirs. :) Also, we ran into a Chinese family from Chandler, AZ here on vacation with their 3 kids- all Mormons! One of the daughters actually had just gotten baptized last week! It's always fun running into LDS people from America here. Oh ya, we even tried some musical finding!  Sis.MacKay played the flute, 2 of the members came with us, one of them played the violin and I helped sing with the other. That was really fun. Now we have lots of new people to call! We've already set up with a few of them for this week!- So I'll keep you updated with what comes of it.

Oh, ALSO... there is this awesome family we are teaching!!- Szani (Sunny) is married to Betti and they have 3 boys. Szani is such a smiley nice man! He was baptized recently in March and is working on converting his family too. Their son Dávid is 9 and hopefully will be getting baptized soon. He is one of the smartest most well-behaved little boys I've ever met. He sometimes seems like a 30 year old in a little kids body! In our last lesson with him, he took notes! haha And after church when I set up a program with Szani to come over this week, Dávid pulled out his little electronic daily planner to make sure he was "free" the day and the time we planned for, haha. I'm really excited about their family. I hope we can help Betti and David become active members. :)

Well, I love you all lots!  This weekend is general conference!! I can't wait! This is my 3rd general conference since I've come on my mission and will be my last here in the country. I do miss the Conference Center though! I realize what an amazing blessing it is to get to go there and be in the presence of so many of God's chosen servants. Next week is Sister MacKay's birthday, and we received permission to go to the OPERA!!! I've never been to an opera! I'm so excited. It's going to be on Wednesday next week though, so we won't be emailing next week until then- we are switching our p-day to the 10th. Just thought I'd let you know so that you wouldn't freak out when you didn't get an email from me next Monday. :)

ANYWAYS, love you all TONS!!

Sok Sok Szeretettel,
Sister Tiffany Johnson

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany's mom,

    I know that Sister Tiff is coming home soon. I would very much like to go to her homecoming. Please let me know when it is, it would be much appreciated. So happy she served, I have really enjoyed reading her letters. What an amazing girl!!! THanks!

    Michele Hansen (Wilson Hansen's mom)
    michelerd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, may I please have your home address as well, or rather where Tiffany will be living when she comes home. Thanks

    Michele Hansens
    michelerd@gmail.cm

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple , Tiffany Ko Twerkaholic

    ReplyDelete